Did you know that you can apply for your Nigerian international passport online from within Nigeria?
In this article, I want to share with you the step by step process on how to apply for and get the Nigerian international passport online. To make it easier for you to understand, I will be breaking it down into the following subtopics
- The requirements for applying for an international passport in Nigeria.
- How much it costs to obtain your passport (official/unofficial)
- Duration of processing (How long the process takes)
An international passport is one of the most important documents you need to travel abroad. As a Nigerian, for you to be able to buy your air ticket, board a plane and travel out of Nigeria (japa), you must have your Nigerian passport. It doesn’t matter whether you’re traveling for a visit, vacation, work or study abroad.
Ideally, this document is one you should get without any form of stress. Unfortunately, most simple documents are hard to get in here, including a passport. I have heard stories of people who waited for several months before receiving their passports. What about those who got scammed trying to cut corners?
In sane climes, this should not be so. All you’ll need is to apply online, or simply book an appointment and visit the office to complete the process.
The good news is that the Nigerian Immigration Service recently assured Nigerians of seamless passport processes. One way they want to achieve this is by making the online passport application portal (ePassport) more effective.
Requirements for Obtaining a Nigerian Passport
To apply for your international passport, you will need to have the following documents;
- Birth certificate or age declaration
- National identity card (NIN)
- Local government of origin certificate.
- Marriage certificate (if applicable).
- Proof of payment (payment receipt).
- Two recent passport-sized photographs.
- Any previous passport you may have (for renewal).
Minors, (children under 18 years), are required to provide additional documents, such as a letter of consent from both parents or guardians.
How much Does it Cost to Obtain the Nigerian Passport?
Against popular belief, it is very cheap to obtain an international passport when you apply online. Here is how much it costs to get your international passport in Nigeria.
32 pages with 5 years validity costs N25,000 excluding bank charges
64 pages with 5 years validity costs N35,000
64 pages with 10 years validity costs N70,000
Steps to Apply for Your International Passport Online
To apply for your international passport online, you need to logon to the website of the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) using an internet-enabled device. However, I will advise that you do this using a laptop or computer. Here is the step by step process to apply for your passport online from within Nigeria.
1. Visit the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) website at https://immigration.gov.ng
2. Under the “Passport” column, click the Apply Now button to start your application
3. Choose “Passport Application from within Nigeria” button if you’re applying from Nigeria. Otherwise, click “Continue” for other options.
4. Select Passport Type, your age range, State and the passport office you wish to go for capturing, and the number of booklets.
5. Select the type of passport you want to apply for (32-page or 64-page). Note that the prices are different too.
6. Fill in the application form with your details and upload a clear passport photograph.
6. Review your application and submit it.
7. Pay the passport fee using a debit card, and print the payment receipt.
8. Book an appointment at the nearest immigration office for biometric data capture.
9. Attend your appointment at the immigration office with original copies of your documents.
When visiting the immigration office for capturing, remember to go with the following documents;
a printed application form, payment receipt, and original copies of required documents (birth certificate, valid ID card, and proof of your current address.)
Note: It is important to ensure that all information provided is accurate and complete to avoid delays or rejection of the application.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Nigerian International Passport
How long will it take to get an international passport in Nigeria?
It can take between 3-6 weeks for your international passport to be ready for collection. Depending on whether it is a fresh request or renewal/re-issuance.
How long does it take to get Nigeria passport in Canada?
Can I travel to Nigeria with my expired Nigerian passport?
Yes, you can travel back to Nigeria from any part of the world even when your passport is expired.
How much does it cost to get a new Nigeria international passport?
N25,000 (5 years with 32 pages), N35,000 (5 years with 64 pages), and N70,000 (10 years with 64 pages).
I hope you enjoyed this article. Do you have any questions, feel free to ask using the comment box.